Wednesday, February 6, 2008

My Socks vs. His Virtual Ring

Saturday, February 2nd 2008 at 10:00pm


Failure is what today feels like. I feel down and out. My boyfriend left for work this morning and I had a smile on my face, but right then, for some odd reason, I had this odd feeling that today was going to go very wrong, in such a way that I would most certainly not be smiling any more. Looking back, let’s see how right I was...

I spent the first hour and a half of my day after My boyfriend left (from 12:30pm to 2:00pm) making phone calls. I called Megan and Sara (two girls Arrin had meet me at the Boulevard Mall yesterday) and asked them if they were still interested in going to the Galleria Mall today. They said they were. They said they’d meet us there at three-thirty.

I called Tina, and didn’t get an answer.

I called Laura and she said she was out in Tonawonda with her boyfriend and couldn’t get a ride, so she wouldn’t be able to go, but she assures me that she’ll be at the meeting on Monday at six o’clock.

I called Amber and asked her if she was able to go, and if so, when. She said she was coming to my house at four o’clock after meeting up with a friend of hers, Pyro, nearby. I told her that was no good because we were supposed to be meeting Megan and Sara at three-thirty at the Galleria Mall. She said that was no good because the Galleria Mall security suck, and Arrin agreed with that. (Galleria Mall doesn’t even let minors in without parents.)

So I called Sara and Megan back and said we were going to the Eastern Hills Mall and asked if they could get there and meet us at four-thirty instead. They said sure, that’s fine.

So then I called Jasmine and asked her if she was coming. Jasmine said she needed a ride, and that she had one friend who wanted to come along. I said that I’d see if that was going to work. I asked her what she knew about the Eastern Hills Mall and she said that nobody goes to that mall and that we should go to the Galleria like we planned. I explained about the security and then asked about going the McKinley Mall then. And it seemed like the perfect plan because her house is on the way to the McKinley Mall.

So I called Megan and Sara back and told them about the change of plans, and they said that their father was going to be taking the car, and that they couldn’t come after all. I said I was sorry to hear that, and asked if they’d be at the meeting on Monday. They assured me that they would be.

I tried calling Tina again and she said she’d be at my house by four o’clock.

I called Amber back with the current plans and she said she’d be at my house at four o’clock.

Then at about two thirty, a mere half-an-hour after calling Tina, Jasmine, Laura, Sara, Megan, my brother Robert, my Mom, and Arrin, Angel shows up with his girl friend, Britney, and Britney’s cousin, and his own cousin. Four people added to the mix unexpectedly, three of which I didn’t know.

Meanwhile my Mom has gone to get the tire fixed because it had gotten a flat. Tina called me back and says she can’t go after all. Good thing too, because we wouldn’t have had room for her in the car anyway.

Amber and Pyro show up at four o’clock at the same time as my Mom. We pile into the car. Amber, Pyro and Angel’s cousin get in the back of the station wagon. Angel, Britney and Britney’s cousin in the back seat. Me in the front seat, and my Mom driving.

I used mapquest directions to get us to Jasmine’s house. Somewhere between my house and Jasmine’s house my stomach started to hurt, and shortly before we got to Jasmine’s house I realized that the pain was cramps and that my period was starting.

I wasn’t thrilled about this. Sure, it’s good that I’m not pregnant right now (though I’d like to be anyway) but it doesn’t change the fact that today I had too much to do to be dealing with pain.

Dressed in patterned-stockings (a pattern of holes like fish-net, but thicker like leggings almost) that were black. A short skirt from Hot Topic with a white and black plaid style. My boyfriend’s favorite shirt of mine with black lace around the bottom and top and a black and white striped design. A long-sleeved tight black shirt underneath. Black legging with patterned holes (similar to the stockings) over my calves with high-healed black boots. One of my spiked collars and a spiked necklace as well as a ring-connected-to-bracelet that I got at a Renaissance Fare. Black-lace hand-coverings, and My boyfriend’s spiked black hoddie as well as My boyfriend’s over-the-shoulder punked-out black bag. That’s too many accessories, too many people, and too much to do, for CRAMPS!

And on top of that, Jasmine comes out of her house with no one person, but two. Meaning three more people to fit in the car. One more in the back-seat, one more in the ‘trunk’ and Jasmine on my lap. I think Jasmine is hot and all, but I don’t want it bad enough to be excited about her sitting on my lap. It’s not like she’ll ever give it to me anyway.

So then we have to change the course that we drive because Mom doesn’t want to risk a high-way (much less tolls) with the car the way it was. So it took us longer than it should have to get to the mall. We finally get there and they all want to stop outside and smoke a cigarette.

In pain, and disgusted, and cold, I walked into the mall and found a bathroom, put on the one pad I just happened to have with me, complained inside my head for a few minutes, and then after another few minutes of pointlessly trying to primp myself in the mirror and to somehow also become more comfortable, I left the bathroom and found them inside.

Immediately we start losing people. Next thing I know I’m alone in the food court, dizzy, feeling like I got hit by a train, drinking a bottle of water. I spent an hour feeling like shit while Amber and others came and went in small groups. I gave them each a sign-up sheet for the Social Club and a writing utensil. I’m not sure I got everything back. I’m quite sure I’m missing at least one list, or at least one pencil.

I finally went into the vitamin store and bought a bottle of Ibuprofen and a mix of Calcium, Magnesium and Zinc. I took two from each bottle and waited. It was likely six o’clock before I tried to start promoting. At which time, Jasmine informs me that the security has told Angel to stop and everyone that was with Angel.

I got possibly four names on my list while I was in the food court. Then I went on an errand with Amber to return some items to Macy’s that I guess Arrin bought for some girl that didn’t want them. (I hate guys that try to win a girl with money, it makes me so mad.)

There were a number of difficulties and adventures just within that one hour that really are not worth documenting. There was another hour of difficulties involving getting a ride. There was a number of difficulties with everything, not the least of which being that everyone couldn’t stop goofing around. I tried to tell Angel in the beginning if he was going to be a part of this that he had to be serious. So much for that.


Saturday, February 2nd 2008 at 11:25pm


I’m just following directions. Even my own boyfriend hates me today. I feel like shit.


Sunday, February 3rd 2008 at 6:17pm


Today is going quite well. I woke up, and My boyfriend told me about his dream, and I told him about mine. We talked for a while. We fucked, even though I’m on my period, and it was pretty good. He enjoyed it. We cuddled. I decided that I need to stop hinting like most of we women like to do and just spell shit out. That’s what men want.

So I started to spell some things out this morning. I said to him, “Why don’t you be more sensual with me?”



Wednesday, February 6th 2008 at 3:00am


So I stole this ring from My boyfriend on Diablo II a long time ago. Like six or seven months ago I think. It’s a virtual ring that’s rare, but I’m still not sure how rare even now. We were trading with each other and our other characters in a private game and he dropped a ring called RavenFrost for his other character. It helps against poison somehow, but I forget how.

I thought to myself, this would help me stop getting poisoned all the time, sweet! I had only intended to look at it when I picked up, but then I compared it to the DwarfStar ring that I had on. Another ring My boyfriend had given me. Being that they were both rare rings, and that they both had come from My boyfriend (though one was given and one was not) I didn’t see the harm in trading them.

My boyfriend didn’t notice at first that I had taken it. Then when he realized he became upset. I didn’t realize how upset until it was too late to remedy the situation by returning the ring. He says that the ring made no sense for my type of character and equipment. I don’t understand the game well enough even to this day to affirm that myself. He considers this just as bad (if not worse perhaps) than stealing in real life.

This is going to seem irrelevant, but this is all working up to my point... My boyfriend wanted to go out tonight. Said that he was so tired that if he came home he’d go right to sleep, so therefor, he wanted to go to Adam’s house. Adam doesn’t live too far away, but the fact of the matter is, that it’ll be 11:30pm when he get’s to Adam’s house, and it’ll take him ten minutes to walk home at some point, and another half hour once he get’s home to get situated, bringing the time to 12:10am, and he’ll spend no less than an hour there, so I’d see him no sooner than 1:10am, and that was if he kept things short.

I argued that it didn’t make sense to go out because one was tired. Especially not to smoke some weed. Where is the logic in that? But that argument didn’t do anything for my cause, so I turned from logic to bribes. I offered a rub, and a meal, and kisses and sex. But that held no weight because I always do all of those things. What I don’t understand there is why those things are not enough for him to always want to come home...

So finally I said that he could pick up a beer if he came home. He said two. I sighed and conceded. So he gets home at 11:05pm, must have gotten a ride for that to happen. We go out in my Mom’s car and get two beers from Wilson Farms, (incidently two blocks from where he works.) We got back at 11:30pm, evening out to when he would have been home (with the beers) anyway.

He sits at his computer and plays Diablo II (which he’s recently started playing again, though I am likely retired for good) and I sit at mine and work on the Social Club Staff chart. This goes on for a while, and eventually I start working on my game design. He gets hungry and we head on downstairs and I make him eggs, just like I always do when he wants (even if it’s 1:40am in the morning) and while I’m down there I happen to look down and to my horror, he’s wearing my bran-new pink socks my mom bought me for Christmas.

Immediately a siege of images of Tre wearing my various pairs of socks throughout my relationship with him come to mind, and how my socks would have holes, and not fit right anymore, and be all stretched out and dingy after just one usage by him. I tried to maintain calm, knowing that I was mostly angry because of past memories. I calmly explained to him how his feet were bigger than mine, and how he’d stretch them out. I also explained how I didn’t wear my socks downstairs with no shoes or slippers. (I was wearing a much older pair of pink fluffy socks with black slippers over them.) I also mentioned that those socks were new, and that I hadn’t even worn them much yet, and that they were the only pair I had that went up to my knees, and that they were very warm, and I’d really not like them ruined.

He offered to take them off right away and I said not to do that, after all I wouldn’t want his bare feet to touch the frozen floor tiles in the kitchen. I’m not that cruel! After getting his eggs he rushed upstairs without waiting for me to butter my Rie toast. This clued me in to how upset he was about the whole thing. Ridiculous, really, I though to myself, to be upset because I pointed out a fact. It’s a fact that his feet are bigger than mine. It’s a fact that they will stretch out if he wears my socks. It’s a fact that they won’t fit me right anymore. And I didn’t even yell at him! I basically asked him not to do it again.

I believe he’s sleeping now. We got into a huge argument about it once I got in bed. He says that I shouldn’t care because I “didn’t even pay for them” which is a ludicrous argument. So I should ruin things just because I didn’t pay for them? How about I wreck my mom’s computer since I didn’t pay for it! How about I wreck his skater pants because I didn’t pay for those! How about I just leave the sink dirty and let it clog since I didn’t pay for that! Come on. So I told him that he wasn’t being logical and that it was probably due to him drinking.

He immediately takes this as me accusing him of being drunk. Drinking a couple beers and having your judgement altered is entirely different than be drunk, a. k. a. trashed. I think I know the difference, and I think that difference is important. And it’s silly for him to say that it’s not important when he himself constantly draws the line between the two. It’s the same thing when I say it, (“drunk, drinking, whatever” he said) but somehow it’s an important difference when he talks about it. Logic impairment, or what?

And so I brought up the RavenFrost ring. I took the ring because I didn’t feel it was that serious. I took the ring because I felt the same way he did about the socks. I took the virtual ring and didn’t think that it would be a big deal. He took my socks because he liked wearing my socks, and even admitted that he knew I’d be upset! I didn’t know he was going to be upset about the ring, I mean I knew he’d say something about it, but I thought I might just say I really wanted it, and that he might just let me have it. He explained to me that it was serious, (in a less than calm manor) and I tried to offer it back, but it was too late for that of course. Probably was half the reason I stopped playing come to think of it.

And guess what? He didn’t like my analogy. He says they are two completely unrelated things and can in no way be compared. My socks can be replaced for five dollars. His ring can’t. That really made me angry. So my one pair of knee-high socks that costs around five dollars than my mom gave to me as a gift on Christmas, which are new are simply not as important as a virtual ring? I understand the ring is rare, and that it’s principle, and that it’s essentially the same thing. I gave the virtual ring the credit of being on the same level as a physical gift that I really like and frankly need, and he had the nerve to tell me his rare and virtual ring was more important because of the time it took to get it.

Like as though he spent all that time playing the game just for that ring. As though it doesn’t take time and consideration on someone’s part to make that five dollars, to buy the socks, to keep the socks clean and like-new. As though my feelings are just not as important because his ring was rare. But you know what? I bet those socks aren’t still at Target. I bet I can’t just go and replace them. I bet getting those exact socks again would be really hard. And I bet he could simply play the game some more and end up with that ring again in the process.

And what makes me even more mad about it is the fact that he mad such an issue about it. I have gotten barely any attention since I got home, no affection (unless a peck on the lips or cheek counts) at all, and been bombarded with argument. I listened to him vent about his day, and his co-workers. I let him drink. I cooked him dinner. I let him play his game without complaint. I watched a show with him that we both like. I didn’t scream at him about the socks even though it was very important to me. I offered to rub him, though he declined. (I tried to do it anyway, but he wasn’t cooperative.) I even went to hold him even though he was being down-right rotten to me, and this is what I get?

For one thing, the ring isn’t relevant, because I thought we were forgiving each other for anything that happened before our one year anniversary on December 20th 2007. For another thing, I thought that we were going to stop arguing about stupid shit and be calm. And I really was being calm at first, but being called a liar (he told me I was lying about not understanding about the ring at the time) on top of being told that my socks were not as important as his virtual ring, and that I’m an ass-hole, and that he disliked me at the moment... How could I control the tone in my voice after all of that? After everything I just did for him!

I feel like he’s slowly going back on everything we agreed upon in the Love Contract. I thought we were long past petty arguments like socks. All he had to do was say that he didn’t mean to ruin my socks and that he wouldn’t do it again. Not that I know they are ruined per say, but they are undoubtedly loser and will wear out faster.

And then, on top of being sexist with me, which he always is. He was being racist too. Saying I was just being such a bitchy ass hole because I’m a white woman. He told me to think about this some more in my white brain. How insulting is that? I know he had a bad day, but come on, what do my socks and me being white have to do with each other? And if this is all because of two goddamned beers I used to bribe him to come home, then fuck it, he can go out and I can be sad that he’s gone.

What-the-fuck-ever. I’m sick of explaining myself over and over and over again. I’m sick of being logical, and rational, and honest and being called a lying idiot. I thought he had decided he was serious about being with me forever. I thought he trusted me. I thought he believed me. I thought a lot of things. I thought I knew what I should think.



Note to self: Write an entry about why I’m so touchy about my belongings.

2 comments:

Guilty Secret said...

I am amazed that someone as seemingly intelligent as you could want to have a baby with someone who can get that upset about a computer game. It sounds to me like he needs to grow up a little. (Sorry if it sounds harsh, but I'm assuming that because you post about something, you're interested to hear what people think.)

What is the Social Club all about?

PhoenixMuse said...

I do like hearing what people think. Harsh is fine with me. I prefer honestly to sugar-coated bull. Sometimes I think the same thing, but then again, I do understand the game thing because I play games too, and I know it's not just a virtual ring, it's a RARE virtual ring that requires effort, and as I said, I'd say it's just about as serious as him wearing my socks. This morning he admitted that my analogy wasn't that bad.