Monday, February 25, 2008

Letters

Thursday, February 21st 2008 at 1:21pm


“Under existing state management plans – plans approved by the Bush Administration – all but 300 hundred wolves could be killed. That’s 80% of the wild wolves in Greater Yellowstone and the Northern Rockies!

As I wrote last month, federal officials already made it easier to kill wolves while they were still protected under the Endangered Species Act. Now they’re taking the final step, and eliminating these federal protections altogether.

Idaho officials want to use aerial gunning to kill wolves in their state. Wyoming agencies have left the door open to the use of traps and poison to eliminate wolves. And officials in both states – and Montana – have proposed wolf hunts.”


This report made me cry. I recently watched on National Geographic a beautiful depiction of Yellowstone park and it’s wolves, and how wolves were brought back from the brink of extinction by regulations, and acts, and by allowing Yellowstone park to have wolves. Now Bush and his administration are ruing another great thing this country did in the past. How is it possible that he wants to simply destroy everything? How can that really be any person’s goal? How could that be the goal of our president? How could I live in a country where that is something that is legal.


Monday, February 25th 2008 at 2:50pm


Asa Writes Me


Atara,

Hope you're having a fun weekend. I'm impressed with the progress you're making with that youth group, I think it's something that can make a tangible different to kids in your neighborhood, and you've got a good group of helpers already. It's really good work you and your mothers are doing, and I'm happy to help out when I can.

By the way, I'm thinking of placing an order at www.thoughthammer.com in the next few weeks, are there any games you might like to get for the group, or are you set for now? I was thinking light games like For Sale, Coloretto or Carcassonne might be popular. Or party games like Apples to Apples or Wits and Wagers. Yes I have a large collection, but I tend toward more hardcore games, and I'm not always available.

Speaking of availability, I was thinking of throwing a gaming party next Saturday evening, and wondered if next weekend works for you. It would be nice to get more players together, and your presence is always appreciated. I'd like to get some of those 5-6 player games out, like Puerto Rico or Power Grid. Later, Asa

P.S. Just in case you didn't see it online, I've attached the periodic table for Race for the Galaxy, which is a cool reference document.


I Write Asa Back


Awesome chart. It would be very nice to play games this Saturday. Perhaps I'll bring some of my new young friends along. Mike wants to play Race for the Galaxy some more anyway. Though (being that I own the game now) I've decided on some house rules: Hand limit is increased to 15 cards, card building limit is increased to 14 cards, and point-chit limit is the amount that came with the bag.

Mom, My boyfriend, Dad and I tried this out last night and it made for a more interesting game (in my opinion.) Mom won with 52 points, I came in second with 47 points, and Dad and My boyfriend each made 30-something points. The round we played before that with standard rules, none of us made it to 30 points and all felt like the game ended too soon. Perhaps it is a little redundant, but heck, if everyone wants to play longer, than it does no damage, lol.

In terms of the Social Club, it's falling apart for a number of reasons. I think I'm going to try and keep in touch with my favorite members by inviting them to play games and such, either at your place or mine.

Hope to see you Saturday.

~Atara


I Wrote Alan


Alan,

I'm so sorry you're sick! But it's just as well, and perhaps it's another act of god or something...

This whole thing isn't working out. It's getting worse and worse. My financial partner, who owns the house, is hard for me to work with. The original group of fifteen people who were working with me on this have turned out to be more trouble than help. My two main people: Jasmine (who you met) and Amber have been lost. (Jasmine doesn't have the time, and Amber turns out to be a thief and a problem-causer.)

I'm down to two girls I can count on and neither of them have many connections, and because I'm not in High School anymore I can't seem to find people on my own.

The city won't give us a permit to make it a legal social club that can be advertised at schools.

And the location it self is having issues. The basement is flooding, and so the water was turned off inside the house, but it kept rising, so we had to call the city to turn it off, and now there is no water there.

So we won't be able to have the parties this weekend. I only just put all of this together this morning, but it seems to me as though the spirits are telling me to either find another route, or give up on this all together.

My life has been nothing but stress since I started trying to make this work. I've put money out of my own pocket into it, and I haven't made a penny back. I haven't even had one good event, or even a productive meeting.

The first party was a disaster, and the teens don't want to do more productive things, or take on any sort of responsibility. So I'm at a loss for doing anything at all.

I can't spend another dollar out of my own pocket, and I can't find another location, and I don't know anybody else to bring into this. One of the two girls I can count on is pregnant seven months, and the other lives an hour drive away. They both have their own lives to worry about.

The simple fact of the matter is, there are more problems than it's worth it for me to do this. I never thought I'd have to everything myself just because everyone else would back out and be so inconsiderate and irresponsible. I also never guessed the my business partner would turn out to be such an ass hole.

I also never thought that this would take up all of my time, and effect my relationship with My boyfriend, and make me so tired all the time.

As much as I loved the idea, and as much time and effort and money has been sunk into the project, there is nothing to do but let go. It's time to cut my losses and move back to the life I had before this project, the life that allowed me to have time for writing, reading and drawing.

Thank you so much for your support. We'll keep in touch.

~Atara


Alan Writes Back


Atara,

So sorry to hear of the sad news. What you are trying to accomplish is a wonderful endeavor. In my mind you are destined make projects like this a successful reality at some point. The experience you had with it should be a lesson learned and only make your attempts at whatever you embark next easier. As you have learned there are many logistical barriers to manage when running anything like a business. You had a wonderful idea and tried to make it a reality. Take the experience, both good and bad, and learn from it. Please keep in touch and keep your head held high, you've too much heart and talent to you let it linger.

Thank you, Alan

No comments: